A TASTE of FREEDOM
A TASTE OF FREEDOM ~ EXPLORATION IN THE ELEMENTS AND SUBTLE AWARENESS
~ 5 DAY SILENT HOME RETREAT ONLINE~ from JUNE 19th- JUNE 24th (Starts 4pm Pacific Time)
With Mala Sikka and Terry Hagan resident teachers of the Dharma Centre of Canada
“Elevate your experience and remain wide open like the sky.
Expand your mindfulness and remain pervasive like the earth.
Steady your attention and remain unshakable like a mountain.
Brighten your awareness and remain shining like a flame…”
Dakpo Tashi Namgyal, 16th century
To be aware in every moment is one of the highest aspirations we humans can have. Being aware is a gift to ourselves and to those around us, but we can get distracted and find ourselves in unhelpful emotional reactions.
The natural elements of earth, water, fire, air and space, subtley support our awareness. By learning to recognise their qualities of stability, flow, warmth, vibration and space we create the skill and means to see the truth of each situation rather than be trapped by emotional patterns of action and reaction.
Daily meditations will include direct practice with the elements, combined with meditations outdoors. Immersion in these five elements will support and feed our ongoing awareness. By directly experiencing these precious qualities, we can cultivate and extend our awareness into all our activities, freeing up energy, joy and compassion. Learn how to make your practice a way of life, the natural luminous play of mind pervading beyond the negative and positive.
The retreat will be held in silence apart from daily classes which allow plenty of time for questions. We will include gentle body work and movement that will assist us to integrate this magic dance of the elements. Working indoors and outdoors, we will use the natural mind and the natural environment as our teachers.
To read about the teachers click on ~ https://www.dharmacentre.org/resident-teachers
Other courses that they are leading:
If you cannot make the entire retreat you are be welcome to join for the first few days as long as you can establish your commitment ahead of time. We will not accept new meditators starting in the middle of the retreat unless they have worked with one of us before and or done this kind of retreat.
Please contact Mala and Terry on dharmastudies108 (at) gmail.com if you have questions regarding commitments to the retreat. However as long as you can make a commitment and stick to it for the duration of your retreat, they can discuss the details of how to set a home retreat boundary in detail in the first class to set the mood of the retreat.
SOME RETREAT GUIDELINES
This retreat will be an excellent chance to integrate meditation and home life. The major requirement for participating in this course is that you make a firm commitment to make Dharma practice and study the focus of these 5 days. As best as you can, plan to be in retreat mode during the time of this course. This will ensure that you get the most out of the retreat. Here are some suggestions :
Having this gentle boundary in place means that you then can let go into the retreat, as the retreat grows, the structure becomes your refuge and protection.
• Make a commitment at the start that you can keep with during the retreat better not it make it too tight so that you can keep with your aspirations but it will be a bonus if you end up doing more hours `formal practice’ than you expect.
• Set aside a "retreat space " in your house that is dedicated to do the retreat. A place where you can do sitting and walking meditation in silence.
• Please maintain a functional silence during the retreat.
• Please plan your meals over the retreat and buy all the food ahead of time.
• You may wish to cook your meals ahead of time ,so that you have less to do in the retreat, but this is not mandatory
• As with any deep retreat. Please turn off your phone and all devices other than the one you are using to access the retreat itself. You will however need to give a phone number and or whats app to the teachers if for any reason you get bumped off, so they will whats app you in or phone you in if you don't have access to enough bandwidth. Then you would need to switch to phone in this instance !
• Make sure that you are not within hearing range of any TV and ask your family to keep the volume low so not to distract you. Please don't watch TV or read books during this time. It is ok to take notes in class and do a simple meditation review but long journalling is not recommended.
• It helps to create a timetable ahead of time with your meal times planned, between classes practice times, and all your chores etc.
• write down the names of anyone you will need to connect with in case of emergency or if you need be.If you have children, and you need to take that into account then use logic to plan in this situation.
• any activities that you really need to attend to should be planned between classes
• Please plan to be at home and nearby ( garden or woods etc ) for the whole period.
Participants will be expected to do their own practice in between courses periods, and as best they can, to maintain a retreat like environment at home. Mala and Terry will be able to fine tune your retreats in the first class.
If any difficulties or questions you can email Mala and Terry on dharmastudies108(at)gmail.com
Participation online will be by zoom, with an audio only call in option for those who do not have internet or computer access. PLEASE DO NOT WAIT FOR UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO REGISTER AS IT MAY NOT ALLOW THE TIME NEEDED TO CONNECT WITH MALA AND TERRY OR TO PREPARE WELL IN YOUR HOME FOR THE RETREAT TIME. Mala and Terry kindly request that you DO NOT RECORD any of the sessions.
It is recommended that the PST retreatants do extra practice after 5.30pm and EST retreatants do an early morning session before 10am ideally around 7am at the latest. Of course all beings are welcome to register for the course wherever they are in the world and if we can adjust timings to suit all regions we will try but these are the times at this juncture until we know who will join from other countries.
|Friday JUNE 19TH||CLASS 4:00 pm– 5:30pm (PST)|
|7:00 – 8:30pm (EST)|
|Saturday JUNE 20th -
Wednesday JUNE 24th
|CLASS 7:00 am – 9:00 am (PST)|
|10:00 am – 12:00 pm (EST)|
|2.5 hours for personal practice (including lunch)|
|CLASS 12:30 pm – 3:00 pm (PST) (with small break)|
|3:30 pm – 6:00 pm (EST)|
|1.5 hours for personal practice|
|CLASS 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm (PST)|
|7:30 pm - 8:30 pm (EST)|
Dana should be given in advance of the retreat so that one’s attention can turn to practice. If one feels moved to do so, one is always welcome to send additional dana after the retreat to support ongoing work with groups and individuals
Please use the email address malasterryh (at) gmail.com to e-transfer dana offerings.
Denman Island, BC V0T 1T0
Retreat Teacher Link
Online Retreat Status